Focus and Scope
Lazaroa (ISSN-e 1988-3307) is a biannual journal that publishes original research studies in the field of Botany (Morphology, Taxonomy, Vegetation and Ecology). It includes indices and summaries in Spanish and English.
Lazaroa is an OPEN ACCESS Journal and free of charges for articles.
Peer Review Process
The manuscript sent for inclusion in Lazaroa will be blind reviewed by appropriate referees (2), but the final decision to accept or reject a manuscript is made by the Editorial Board. However, it is necessary to point out that the opinions stated in the works published in Lazaroa are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the Editorial Board, the Department of Plant Biology II or the University Press.
Statutes of the Journal
The journal LAZAROA (ISSN: 0210-9778 / ISSN-e: 1988-3307) is a scientific periodical edited by the Plant Biology Department II of the Faculty of Pharmacy. Lazaroa is published twice yearly and includes reviews and original research articles on botany, including taxonomy and plant systematics, biogeography, ethnobotany, flora, vegetation and ecology.
1. Management bodies
The management bodies responsible for the scientific coordination and publication of the magazine are the Editorial Board and the Advisory Board. All the Board Members undertake to respect the principles of any code of ethics that may be established for the scientific journals of the Complutense University of Madrid.
1.1. Editorial Board: structure and composition
- The Editorial Board comprises the editor, the assistant editor (secretary) and eight associate editors (board members). The post of editor must be occupied by an active teacher with a contractual relationship with the UCM. At least one third of its members must belong to institutions other than the Complutense University of Madrid.
- The Editorial Board will assist the editor in all his or her functions, and very specifically, in monitoring the works (their receipt, assessment and acceptance) and in defining the contents and style of the journal (by drafting rules for the submission of original works, creating and informing the sections, etc.). It will be formed by professionals from all the scientific fields included in the journal to ensure the efficient monitoring of the works to be published. The members will be chosen by the departmental board of Plant Biology II at the Faculty of Pharmacy.
1.2. Advisory Board
- The Advisory Board will be made up of professionals and researchers of recognised prestige and solvency, without any institutional links with the journal. Apart from conferring rigour on the journal, it will serve to outline editorial policy, to make the journal attractive to both authors and readers, and to disseminate it, to the extent of its abilities, in a wide range of forums. It will also collaborate in the evaluation and auditing processes.
- The Advisory Board must include professionals and researchers from foreign institutions among its members.
- Members will be chosen according to the following process: the departmental board members may propose candidates that will be studied by a special departmental commission to determine their suitability.
- The members of the Advisory Board may take part as external peers in the process of evaluating the original works, taking into account that at least one of the assessments must always be issued by a reviewer who is unconnected to the Advisory Board.
2. Characteristics and functioning
- The journal will be published with a periodicity of two issues a year. In addition, and with an extraordinary nature, the journal may propose to Ediciones Complutense the publication of a special issue.
- The journal will consist of the following sections:
- Articles. This is the main section of the journal and includes the most usual and numerous works to be found therein. It must also include other sections to complement the main one, such as:
- Nomenclatural notes, featuring the publication of new developments in the revision of the names of taxa or syntaxa according to the guidelines of the International Codes of Nomenclature in these specialities.
- Communications. The journal will also include the publication of articles, which are shorter in length, or new botanical developments of a floristic type, among others.
- Other sections. Occasionally book reviews and other such items may be included, or short ‘In Memoriam’ notes as a tribute to recently deceased colleagues.
Code of Conduct and best practice
The journal Lazaroa abides by the Code of Conduct and best practice established by the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) (Code of Conduct and Best Practice Guidelines for Journal Editors and Code of Conduct for Journals Publishers). In compliance with this code, the journal shall ensure the scientific quality of the publications and that it responds adequately to the needs of readers and authors. The code is applicable to all parties involved in the administration and publication of scientific results in journals published by Ediciones Complutense on the Complutense Scientific Journals Website, viz. the editorial teams, authors, and reviewers. Works that do not comply with these ethical rules shall be rejected.
Lazaroa, Journal of Botany was founded by Prof. Dr. Salvador Rivas-Martínez, Full Professor of Complutense University.